Friday, February 4, 2011

Black dog gives gentle nudge


LIVELY: Kelpie cross Maggie had a bark worse than her bite.

LIVELY: Kelpie cross Maggie had a bark worse than her bite.

THIS is a tale of two black dogs. One is a killer. The other had a bark worse than her bite.

The first black dog was the name war-time British PM Winston Churchill had for his depression. The second black dog was my family’s life-saving hound, Maggie.

The two black dogs are relevant to our flood-hit Ipswich because they prove that the black dog of depression can bite anyone. They prove that with help, the black dog of depression can be tamed.

Many flood-affected Ipswich residents are likely to suffer some form of depression or mental illness resulting from the floods.

The trick will be to recognise the warning signs in yourself or others to overcome difficulties.

My own black dog story will hopefully help others to seek help.

A few years ago, a string of physical health issues put me into a dark place. That dark place ended up being near a bay while walking Maggie.

The dark place had me looking out thinking ``if I swim out there, my problems will be over’‘.

For what seemed an age, I stood there contemplating the release that would bring.

Then a gentle nudge from Maggie’s nose took me from those thoughts and to the promise to my wife that I would be home soon to bath my daughter and put her to bed. Maggie’s gentle nudge made me realise that I had a purpose in life, even if it was her way to get me to keep walking in the park.

Weeks later after my wife’s persistent pleas, I sought help for my health issues which helped my mental state. The first step was to recognise the problem.

A former colleague once said he couldn’t understand how people could sink to such low points.

Equally, I couldn’t understand his lack of insight. If you are feeling down   or know someone who needs a helping hand, let the black dog named Maggie nudge you   to overcome Mr Churchill’s black dog.

We had to put Maggie down during the floods. She had grown too old and sick.  But she will live in our hearts as the kelpie cross who gave me the nudge I needed.

Signs of depression:

* moodiness that is out of character
* increased irritability and frustration
* finding it hard to take minor personal criticisms
* spending less time with friends and family
* loss of interest in food, sex, exercise or other pleasurable activities
* being awake throughout the night
* increased alcohol and drug use
* staying home from work or school
* increased physical health complaints like fatigue or pain
* being reckless or taking unnecessary risks (e.g. driving fast or dangerously)
* slowing down of thoughts and actions.

(Source beyondblue)

Where to get help:

Lifeline 131 114

Ipswich Counselling Centre 13812 1179

Beyondblue 1300 224 636

Source: whereilive

0 comments:

Post a Comment