Sunday, June 13, 2010

Petrie shoots for higher honours


ANTHONY Petrie credits a relaxed attitude and a secure future with his rise into Australian Boomers contention.

Now the former Canberra Gunner wants to cement his place in the national team set-up.

Petrie and 12 other Boomers hopefuls arrived at the Australian Institute of Sport in the national capital yesterday for a three-day training camp.

It's Petrie's chance to impress Australian coach Brett Brown for the first time.

And while he conceded his chances of earning a spot in Brown's team to take on Argentina from June 20 were slim, Petrie said he wouldn't hold back at his first attendance at an Australian camp. Petrie had knee surgery at the end of the Gold Coast Blaze's NBL season, but was confident it would not hinder his prospects of playing for the Boomers.

''I wouldn't say I was nervous, I was just anxious to get in there,'' Petrie said.

''I'm a little bit tired from all the work I've put in to get back from the knee injury, but I feel good. I'm the lightest [weight] I've been in a long time.''

After breaking into the league with the West Sydney Razorbacks, Petrie's career was left in limbo with the league struggling financially.

Disenchanted, the forward almost gave up on basketball to return to being a school teacher.

But after scoring his first multi-year deal with the Blaze, Petrie said he was playing with no pressure.

Petrie landed on the Boomers' radar with his outstanding NBL form.

For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times

Source: The Canberra Times

0 comments:

Post a Comment