Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sparkling celebration for Castle Hill couple


BEING great friends has added up to 60 years of wedded bliss for long-time Hills couple Maurice and Joan Baldwin.

The Castle Hill couple celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary last month and received congratulatory letters from the Queen, state and federal MPs, the NSW Governor-General and Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

“My son-in-law said I should hang on to that one because one day it could be worth a lot of money,” Mr Baldwin, 84, said of the PM’s letter.

They met at church at a time when Castle Hill was mostly citrus orchards, the postman delivered mail on a horse and there were half a dozen shops on Old Northern Rd.

Mrs Baldwin, 83, said it was love at first sight.

“It was for me, but I didn’t let on,” she said.

They got married in Perth in 1950. “As I walked up the stairs to the registry I could have jumped off half way up but I’m very glad I didn’t,” Mr Baldwin joked.

After returning to Castle Hill they built a house in Cecil Ave which has since been redeveloped.

The secret to their successful marriage so far: “We never snipe at each other,” Mr Baldwin said.

“We’re very good friends,” Mrs Baldwin said.

Source: whereilive

0 comments:

Post a Comment