Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wallabies win soured as Alexander hurts knee


RELIEVED Wallabies prop Ben Alexander hopes to be fit for next month's Tri Nations after fearing his Test season was over last night.

Alexander suffered a suspected grade two medial ligament tear in his right knee during Australia's 49-3 win over Fiji at Canberra Stadium.

The Brumbies and Wallabies front-rower was transported from the field in a medical vehicle midway through the second half, convinced he had played his final match for Australia for the year.

But initial medical reports revealed Alexander would be sidelined for just six weeks and be ready for the Wallabies' opening Tri Nations match against the Springboks at Suncorp Stadium on July 24.

''At the time, if you'd told me I'd only be out for six weeks I would have been cheering,'' Alexander told The Sunday Canberra Times.

''I thought I had done everything. I heard it click three times and I thought I was up shit creek, thought I was in a pretty bad way.

Alexander was pilfering the ball when Fiji defenders tackled him from the side.

The 25-year-old was unable to walk from the ground and was in crutches after the match.

He will have an MRI scan tomorrow to get an official gauge on his injury.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

Source: The Canberra Times

0 comments:

Post a Comment