TWO workers were taken to hospital, one in a serious condition, after being exposed to harmful chemicals at Omega Chemicals in Laverton North last night.
A 45-year-old employee was trying to neutralise waste product with hydrochloric acid about 11.30pm.
The mix gave off chlorine gas, which overcame the man.
Another employee, a 28-year-old, came to his colleague’s aid but was also overcome by the fumes.
They only just made it to a safe area before collapsing.
Advanced life support paramedic Cameron Joyce said both men suffered breathing problems..
“Both were given some oxygen to help their breathing.
“The 43-year-old man was in significant pain.”
Both were taken to the Western Hospital.
One of the men has since been released, while the other remains in intensive care.
A third employee was exposed to the fumes, but did not need medical treatment.
It took about 35 firefighters three hours to bring the incident under control.
Paramedics remained on standby for another three hours until the spill was cleaned-up.